National Girl Child Day (NGCD) was observed on 24th January with objectives of generating awareness on the issue of declining Child Sex Ratio (CSR) and create a positive environment around valuing the girl child.
- National Girl Child Day was first initiated in 2008.
- Theme: “Empowering Girls for a Brighter Tomorrow”.
- To increase the consciousness of the people and offer new opportunities to the girl child in the society.
- To remove all the inequalities faced by the girl child.
- To ensure that the girl child should get all their human rights, respect and value in the country.
- To work regarding gender discrimination, to educate people.
Sutlej Yamuna Link (SYL) Canal
An all-party meeting chaired by Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh, demanded reassessment of water availability in the state and said the Centre should ensure that the state’s river water is not transferred from basin to non-basin areas
- The creation of Haryana from the old (undivided) Punjab in 1966 threw up the problem of giving Haryana its share of river waters.
- Punjab was opposed to sharing waters of the Ravi and Beas with Haryana, citing riparian principles, and arguing that it had no water to spare.
- However, Centre, in 1976, issued a notification allocating to Haryana 3.5 million acre feet (MAF) out of undivided Punjab’s 7.2 MAF.
- The Eradi Tribunal headed by Supreme Court Judge V BalakrishnaEradi was set up to reassess availability and sharing of water.
- The Tribunal, in 1987, recommended an increase in the shares of Punjab and Haryana to 5 MAF and 3.83 MAF, respectively.
NISHTHA– National Initiative For School Heads And Teachers Holistic Advancement
Union HRD Minister launches NISHTHA to build capacities of 42 Lakh government teachers across the country.
- NISHTHA is the world’s largest teachers’ training programme of its kind in the world.
- It has been launched to improve Learning Outcomes at the Elementary level.
- The basic objective of this massive training programme is to motivate and equip teachers to encourage and foster critical thinking in students.
- The initiative is first of its kind wherein standardized training modules are developed at national level for all States and UTs. However, States and UTs can contextualize the training modules and use their own material and resource persons also, keeping in view the core topics and expected outcomes of