7th Women Science Congress Inaugurated at Imphal
- It was inaugurated by Governor of West Bengal Shri Keshari Nath Tripathi at Imphal.
- It is a 7th edition of WSC and the first Women Science Congress was held in 2012.
- 7th Women Science Congress is held with the ongoing 105th session of Indian Science Congress.
- The theme of this year’s edition of ISC is “Reaching the Unreached through Science and Technology.”
- North East is hosting the Indian Science Congress for the second time.
- Earlier, Shillong had hosted the Indian Science Congress.
First India-Japan Workshop on Disaster Risk Reduction
- Ministry of Home Affairs, National Disaster Management Authority, India and Government of Japan is jointly organising this workshop.
- The workshop will be an opportunity to explore as to how Japan invests in making its infrastructure resilient to present and future disaster risks.
- It will also help understand recent advancements in Japan in the area of earthquake detection and early warning systems and adapt them to India’s context.
- India and Japan are two most disaster-prone countries in the world.
- Japan is situated along the Pacific Ring of Fire and is highly susceptible to earthquakes.
- Given its long history of devastating earthquakes, Japan has a very high level of community awareness.
- Its technological know-how, especially in the area of earthquake risk reduction, is among the most advanced in the world.
- In India nearly 59% of India’s landmass is prone to moderate to severe earthquakes.
- In the event of an earthquake it will not only save lives but also make for great economic sense that this investment is made earthquake resilient.