1. TUIRIAL PROJECT
- Tuirial dam is an earthfill and gravity dam on the Tuirial River near Kolasib in the state of Mizoram.
- The primary purpose of the dam is hydroelectric power production.
- Tuirial Hydel Project is the 2nd largest earthen dam and the largest in India.
- Mizoram had become the third power- surplus state in the north-east after Sikkim and Tripura.
- Apart from attaining self-sufficiency in electric power, the project will fetch other spinoff benefits to Mizoram like employment generation, navigation, water supply, pisciculture and wild life conservation and tourism.
2. MUSLIM WOMEN (PROTECTION OF RIGHTS ON MARRIAGE) BILL GETS CABINET APPROVAL
1. The bill would give legal teeth to women of the community to fight talaq-e-biddat or instant triple talaq.
2. The law, when passed by the Parliament, would hold against instant triple talaq in “oral, written, electronic or in any other form”.
3. Bill makes the practice a “cognizable and non-bailable” offense.
4. Any declaration of talaq-e-biddat by the husband shall be “illegal and void”.
5. The law would be applicable to the entire country except for Jammu and Kashmir.
Key provisions of the bill
- The law proposes three years’ jail to a man who resorts to instant triple talaq.
- It enables the woman of such a divorce to move court seeking “subsistence allowance” for herself and the children.
- Under the provisions in the Bill, a Muslim woman can seek custody of her minor children from the court.
- Besides imprisonment, the husband will also be liable to pay a fine.