1. WOMAN DOES NOT LOSE HER RELIGIOUS IDENTITY IF SHE MARRIES A MAN FROM A DIFFERENT RELIGION
The Supreme Court said the law does not sanction the concept of a woman’s religion getting merged with her husband’s faith after an inter-religion marriage.A five-judge Constitution Bench headed by Chief Justice was dealing a legal question whether a Parsi woman loses her religious identity if she marries a man from a different religion.
About the case
- Applicant has challenged the customary law, upheld by the Gujarat High Court in 2010, that a Parsi woman marrying a Hindu loses her religious rights in the Parsi community.
- Hence, she loses the right to visit the ‘Tower of Silence’ in the event of her father’s death to perform the last rites.
Apex Court order:
- There is no law which says that a woman loses religious identity after marrying a man from another faith.
- The Special Marriage Act is there and allows that two persons can marry and maintain their respective religious identities.
- The bench said it was only the woman who can decide about her religious identity by exercising her right to choice.
2. VIGILANT ACE
South Korea and United States have launched Vigilant Ace, their largest-ever joint aerial drills.
- The exercise comes after North Korea tested Hwasong-15; it’s most advanced and powerful Inter Continental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) as part of its weapons programme.
- Vigilant Ace Vigilant Ace is annual US-South Korean drill designed to enhance their readiness and operational capability and to ensure peace and security on Korean peninsula.
3. INTANGIBLE CULTURAL HERITAGE UNDER UNESCO
After ‘yoga’ and ‘Nouroz’, Kumbh Mela/ KumbhMela, the largest congregation of pilgrims on the planet, has been listed as an Intangible Cultural Heritage under UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation).The inscription of ‘Kumbh Mela’ in the list was undertaken following recommendation by an expert body which examines nominations submitted by member countries of the UNESCO.The Kumbh Mela is held in Haridwar, Allahabad, Ujjain and Nashik.