Eighty-four out of the 102 cities that have been tasked with reducing toxic particulate matter 2.5 & PM 10 levels( 20%-30%) by 2024 have submitted proposals, C.K. Mishra, Secretary, Union Environment Ministry, said at a press conference.
- Task is part of the National Clean Air Programme (NCAP).
- The Ministry has collaborated with the Bhamla Foundation,artistes from Bollywood and develop a theme song Hawaaanede (‘Let the air in’).
- The song is a “call to action for all to come together to combatair pollution.
National Clean Air Programme (NCAP):
- The National Clean Air Programme is a pollution control initiative that was launched by the Ministry of Environment with the intention to cut the concentration of coarse (particulate matter of diameter 10 micrometer or less, or PM10) and fine particles (particulate matter of diameter 2.5 micrometer or less,or PM2.5) by at least 20% in the next five years, with 2017 as the base year for comparison.
- Following reports by WHO and the air quality data obtained, 102 cities from 23 States and UTs have been chosen as non-attainment cities.
- With the exception of Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Bengaluru, most of those chosen are tier two cities.
- Maharashtra tops the list with 17 cities in the list, including Pune and Nagpur
- No cities from Manipur, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Tripura, Kerala, Goa and Haryana figure in the list.