Omani author JokhaAlharthi is the winner of the 2019 Man Booker International Prize for her novel Celestial Bodies (Story of slavery)
- The first Arabic author to win the Man Booker International prize.
- The work tells the coming-of-age story of three sisters in an Omani village, and was originally published in Arabic.
- Celestial Bodies also delves into the subject of slavery in Oman, which was only outlawed in 1970.
Man Booker Literature Prize:
- The Man Booker Prize is the leading literary award in the English speaking world, and has brought recognition, reward and readership to outstanding fiction for five decades.
- As of 2016, the Man Booker International Prize will be awarded annually for a single book, translated into
English and published in the UK.