The National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) under the ministry of chemicals and fertilizers has put out the list of 9 anti-cancer non-scheduled medicines whose MRPs have been cut by up to 87 %
In brief :
- The new list of drugs is in continuation to the government’s efforts to curb profiteering on these vital drugs.
- In February this year, the government had capped 42 cancer drugs at 30%.
- The move was expected to reduce prices of cancer drugs by 85% and covered 72 formulations and 355 brands.
- The NPPA currently fixes price of drugs on the National List of Essential Medicines under schedule-I of DPCO.
- So far, around 1,000 drugs have been price-capped through this mode. National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA)
- National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) was constituted vide Government of India Resolution dated 29th August, 1997 as an attached office of the Department of Pharmaceuticals (DoP), Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers.
- It is an independent Regulator for pricing of drugs and to ensure availability and accessibility of medicines at affordable prices.