TUSSLE BETWEEN RTI ACT AND OFFICIAL SECRETS ACT
Why in News?
- On March 15, 2019, the Supreme Court Judge Justice K.M. Joseph declared that as per Section 22 of RTI Act, the RTI has an “overriding effect” over Official Secrets Act.
More on news:
- He also pinpointed that as per Section 24 of RTI Act, it is mandatory for even security and intelligence organization to
disclose information on corruption and human rights violations.
- Also Section 8 (2) of RTI act compels the government to disclose information “if public interest in disclosure outweighs the
harm of protected interests”.
- However, the Attorney General K.K. Venugopal defended that defence purchases dealt with the security of the state which
“supercedes everything else”.
- To this, Justice Joseph said, “The Parliament has passed the RTI act in 2005 and brought about a complete revolution, a
complete change. Let us not go back to what it was.
To read this current affair fully, click the below link to download or subscribe our youtube channel to get daily current affairs