WHO strategy to fight flu pandemics
Why in news?:
The World Health Organization has released a Global Influenza Strategy for 2019-2030.
- It aims at protecting people across the world from influenza. Influenza or flu is a contagious disease caused
- by influenza viruses.
- According to WHO, influenza is one of the world’s greatest public health
- The objectives of the strategy are a) prevent seasonal influenza, b) control the spread of influenza from animals to humans and, c) Prepare for the next influenza pandemic. A pandemic is the worldwide spread of a new disease. An influenza pandemic occurs when a new influenza virus emerges and spreads around the world, and most people do not have immunity
- The WHO strategy has recommended countries to formulate a special influenza programme. This would help in disease surveillance, prevention, control, and preparedness for influenza.
- It has also recommended the development of more
NGT issues notices on plea to halt road through Corbett
Why in news?:
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has halted the construction of Kandi Road Project in Uttarakhand. The Kandi Road Project seeks to connect Ramnagar in Kumaon to Kotdwar in Garhwal.
- The construction of the road has been stopped as it passes through the core area of The Jim
- Corbett Tiger Reserve.
- The NGT order comes in the backdrop of a plea which alleged that the construction of the link road would damage the ecosystem and biodiversity of the tiger reserve.
- The plea has stated that the construction of the road was in violation of previous Supreme Court orders. Supreme Court had prohibited the construction of any road through the Corbett Tiger Reserve.
- In 2005, the SC had approved a plan of a road connecting the Garhwal and Kumaon regions which did not include road passing through Jim Corbett.