82% of Ujjwala families return for LPG refill4
Why in news?
- Recently, Oil Minister has handed over LPG connection under the Ujjwala scheme to beneficiary number 7 crore.
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojna
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojna is a scheme of the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas for providing LPG connections to women from Below Poverty Line (BPL) households. It was launched in May 2016.
- Aim: To replace unclean cooking fuels used in the most underprivileged households with clean and more efficient LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas)
- Families below the poverty line are to be provided with LPG connections with a support of Rs. 1,600 per connection.
- Oil Marketing Companies would provide an option for the new consumer to opt for loan to cover the cost of a cooking stove and first refill.
- The LPG connections will be issued in the name of the women of the households.
- Initially the target was installation of 5 crore new LPG connections by 2019
- Target revised to 8 crore- to be achieved by 2019-20
- BPL households identified through Socio-Economic Caste Census data
- All SC/STs households beneficiaries of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana(PMAY) (Gramin)
- Beneficiaries of Antyoday Anna Yojana (AAY)
- Forest dwellers
- Most Backward Classes (MBC)
- Tea & Ex-Tea Garden Tribes
- People residing in Islands
- People residing in river island
- It aims to raise awareness among LPG users about proper use of clean fuel and its advantages
- LPG Panchayat serves as platform for interaction between those who received LPG cylinders under