Phase 2 of Fame Scheme:
Why in News?
- The Union cabinet recently approved the implementation of scheme titled ‘Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of Electric
Vehicles in India Phase II (FAME India Phase II)’ for promotion of Electric Mobility in the country.
- The scheme with total outlay of Rs 10000 Crores over the period of three years will be implemented with effect from 1st
- The scheme is implemented by Ministry of Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises
- The main objective of the scheme is to encourage Faster adoption of Electric and hybrid vehicle by way of offering upfront
Incentive on purchase of Electric vehicles and also by way of establishing a necessary charging Infrastructure for electric vehicles.
- Through the scheme, it is planned to support 10 Lakhs e-2W, 5 Lakhs e-3W, 55000 4Ws and 7000 Buses.
- To encourage advance technologies, the benefits of incentives, will be extended to only those vehicles which are fitted with
advance battery like a Lithium Ion battery and other new technology batteries.
- The scheme proposes for establishment of charging infrastructure, whereby about 2700 charging stations will be established
in metros, other million plus cities, smart cities and cities of Hilly states across the country
- Establishment of Charging stations are also proposed on major highways connecting major city clusters.
- On such highways, charging stations will be established on both sides of the road at an interval of about 25 km each.
About the scheme: