- Anti-satellite weapon “Shakti”, lethal artillery gun “Dhanush”, and newly-inducted helicopters Apache and Chinook were among the key military assets showcased by India for the first time at the Republic Day parade.
- Scaled down models of IAF’s Rafale aircraft and Indian Navy’s Kolkata-class stealth destroyer and a Kalvari-class submarine were also displayed during the ceremonial event.
- A marching contingent of the Corps of Army Air Defence was also part for parade for the first time.
- In the mechanised columns, three indigenously-developed battle tank T-90 Bhishma, three Ballaway Machine Pikate, three K-9 Vajra gun system, two transportable satellite terminal (TST) and two Akash surface-to-air-missiles, were also showcased.
- The Apache and Chinook were among the main attractions as they flew across the clear blue sky, leaving the spectators spellbound
India Gifts 30 Ambulances & 6 Buses to Nepal On The Occasion Of 71st Republic Day
- On the occasion of the 71st Republic Day, India gifted 30 ambulances and six buses to various hospitals, non-profit charitable organizations and educational institutions of Nepal.
- As per reports, the ambulance and buses were gifted in order to reaffirm India’s commitment in partnering with Nepal towards socio-economic development.
- The Indian Embassy released a statement that read: “The Embassy also gifted 30 ambulances and 06 buses to various hospitals, non-profit charitable organizations and educational institutions of Nepal thereby reaffirming Government of India’s commitment to partner with Nepal in its journey towards socio-economic development.”
- Earlier, the Indian government had gifted over 700 ambulances and over 100 buses to Nepal, in order to expand healthcare access to the people of Nepal.
German Military Resumes Training Troops in Northern Iraq
- The German military resumed training Iraqi troops in the country’s Kurdish north, about three weeks after it was suspended following the U.S. killing of a top Iranian general in Baghdad.
- The military said the commander of the international operation fighting the Islamic State group lifted the suspension.
- Germany resumed training in Irbil morning together with its partners. The Bundeswehr has about 90 soldiers in Irbil.
The creation of chair in the name of Robert Caldwell at the Tamil University
- To create awareness on the works of Tamil scholar Robert Caldwell, the State will establish a Tamil chair in his name at Tamil University.
- To strengthen the infrastructure at Tamil University, Rs.20 crore would be allocated.
- And taxpayers do not know how this 20 crores would promote Tamil or Tamil University at Tanjore! Thus, the CM made announcement under rule 110 of the TN legislature
Tamil Nadu CM hands over Anna Medal for Gallantry
- Five youth whose daring act saved a woman from being abducted in December last year in Tiruvallur district were among those to receive the award.
- The award carries a cheque of Rs.1 lakh, a medal worth Rs.5,000 and a certificate.
Tata Steel Chess
- Fabiano Caruana continued his astounding run at the second half of the Tata Steel Masters by grabbing the only win of the final round to end the event – a remarkable first out of 14 with a 10/13 score.
- Magnus Carlsen ended up in sole second place two points behind the American, while Wesley So, who drew the world champion in round thirteen, finished third.
- Niti Aayog to develop national data and analytics platform to make govt data accessible
- External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar and President of Niger Mahamadou Issoufou on 21st January, 2020 jointly inaugurated the first convention centre established in Africa by India to honour the memory of Mahatma Gandhi.
- STEM is a curriculum based on the idea of educating students in four specific disciplines – science, technology, engineering and mathematics – in an interdisciplinary and applied approach.
- Jaipur Literature Festival- from January 23 to 27 in Jaipur.