- From puduchery to yaazpaanam shipping service will be started soon said by deputy minister of shipping mansuk mandaviya.
- This is a trial service and soon shipping service will be started between sri lanka and India.
INDIA EU SUMMIT
- External affairs minister S Jaishankar is understood to have discussed India’s decision to enact the Citizenship (Amendment) Act with Members of European Parliament (MEPs) during his one-day visit to Brussel.
- India’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Subrahmanyam Jaishankar (L) and European Union High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Josep Borell (R) in Brussels.
- Brussels: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar met top leaders of the European Union and held wide-ranging talks on issues, including economic cooperation, climate change and capacity building, that would “benefit both India and EU”.
Government renames IDSA as ‘Manohar Parrikar Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses’
- The central government has renamed Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA), a government think tank, as Manohar Parrikar Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses in order to “honour the commitment and legacy” of the late defence minister.
- Parrikar, who was defence minister from November 9, 2014 to March 14, 2017, died on March 17 last year in Panaji at Goa due to pancreatic cancer.
- He steered the Defence Ministry “through the tough challenges of attacks like Pathankot and Uri and responded to these with exemplary boldness”, said a government statement
- His “biggest” contribution was towards the implementation of long-standing One Rank One Pension (OROP) demand for the armed forces.
Pakistan tests a new cruise missile
- Pakistan carried out a successful test of its latest Ra’ad-II air-launched cruise missile, with a new range of 600 kilometers.
- According to the military’s ISPR media branch, the homegrown Ra’ad-II “significantly enhances air delivered strategic standoff capability on land and at sea.” The weapon features enhanced guidance and navigation systems, “ensuring engagement of targets with high precision.”
Ashraf Gani named winner of disputed Afghanistan poll
- Afganistan declared incumbent Ashraf Gani winner of a disputed presidential election but his main rival rejected the result and vowed to form his own government, raising the threat of new turmoil amid hopes of a US peace deal with Taliban militants.
- Gani won 50.64 per cent of the vote, the Independent Election Commission (IEC) said on Tuesday. Abdullah Abdullah, Gani’s former deputy and main rival, was named runner-up with 39.52 per cent.
2020 Laureus World Sports Awards winners photos: Sachin Tendulkar to Lewis Hamilton & Lionel Messi felicitated
- Indian cricket maestro Sachin Tendulkar was honoured with the Laureus Sporting Moment of the Year Award
- The 2020 Laureus World Sports Awards was held in Berlin, Germany, on February 17, 2020.
- Six-time Ballon d’Or Award-winner Lionel Messi was felicitated as the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year.
- Six-time Formula One World Champion Lewis Hamilton was also felicitated as the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year, along with Lionel Messi
- World’s third most decorated gymnast with around 30 Olympic and World Championship medals, America’s Simone Biles was felicitated as the Laureus World Sportswoman of the Year at the 2020
- South Africa Rugby Union Team who beat England to win their third Rugby World Cup was honoured as the Laureus World Team of the Year
- Ukrainian-American Paralympic rower and cross-country skier Oksana Masters was honoured as the Laureus World Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability