- In her budget speech, finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman proposed to divest a part of the government‟s stake in Life Insurance Corp. of India (LIC) through an initial public offering (IPO).
- It seems like the government is trying to make the most of the brand value of LIC, given that it is one of the few remaining profit-making entities owned by the state.
- Will the listing of LIC, which is the country‟s largest financial institution with assets under management of close to Rs.30 trillion.
Sri Lanka drops Tamil national anthem from Independence Day celebrations
- For the first time since 2016, there will be no Tamil national anthem at the 72nd Independence Day celebrations in Sri Lanka and it will only be rendered in Sinhalese, the government announced, amply demonstrating the administration‟s priority for the majority Sinhala community.
- The then Sri Lankan government in 2015 started including the Tamil national anthem as a means of achieving reconciliation with the Tamil minority community.
- This will be the first time since 2016 that there will be no Tamil national anthem at the Independence Day celebrations in the country.
- The national anthem will be sung only in Sinhala, officials of the Ministry of Home Affairs said.
- Sri Lanka‟s Constitution provides for the singing of the national anthem in both Sinhala and Tamil.
- The Tamil version „Sri Lanka Thaye‟ is a direct translation of „Namo namo matha‟ in the Sinhala language.
- Over Rs 6 lakh worth prize money is up for grabs at Vibrance 2020 – the annual sports and cultural festival that will begin at VIT Chennai from Thursday, said conveners of the event meeting reporters.
- Sekar Viswanathan, Vice President, VIT, said over 160 programmes including 21 sports events, are planned.
- Over 10,000 participants from prestigious institutions expected from all over India, will be competing during the course of the three-day event.
Skills Strengthening for Industrial Value Enhancement (STRIVE)
- Skills Strengthening for Industrial Value Enhancement (STRIVE) project is a World Bank assisted-Government of India project with the objective of improving the relevance and efficiency of skills training provided through Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) and apprenticeships.
- The financial agreement was signed between Government of India and International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) on 19th December, 2017 and the closing date of the project is November, 2022.
- It is a Central Sector Scheme (CSS) with a budget outlay of INR 2200 Crore covering the following 4 result areas:
- Improved performance of ITI.
- Increased Capacities of State Governments to support ITIs and Apprenticeship Training
- Improved Teaching and Learning.
- Improved and Broadened Apprenticeship Training.
Indian boxers claim 6 gold medals at Golden Girl Championship in Serbia
- India‟s junior and youth boxers dominated the ring at the Golden Girl Championship in Boras, Sweden, claiming 14 medals, including six gold, the overall championship trophy and the “Best Boxer’” award.
- While the junior women‟s team clinched five gold, three silver and one bronze medal, the youth team secured a single gold and four bronze medals at the event which concluded on Sunday, the Boxing Federation of India said in a press release..
- Haryana‟s Prachi Dhankar (50kg), playing in the junior category, won the “Best Boxer” award.
- Muhammad Tawfiq Allawi has been named as the new Prime Minister of Iraq in the backdrop of anti-government protests which resulted in the resignation of his predecessor, Abdul Mahdi.
- YSR Pension Kanuka- Andra Pradesh.