- Union Minister Ram Vilas Paswan announced that the „One Nation, One Ration Card‟ scheme will be implemented by June 1 across the country.
- We will implement the „One Nation, One Ration Card‟ scheme by June 1 in the whole country.
Under this scheme a beneficiary will be able to avail benefits across the country using the same ration card.
- Earlier on January 1, Paswan had said that this facility has been started in 12 states in the country on the first day of the New Year.
Brazilian president, Republic Day chief guest
- Brazilian President Jair Messias Bolsonaro will arrive in New Delhi to attend the 71st Republic Day celebrations as the chief guest, in response to an invitation seen as a recognition of the importance India attaches to ties with one of the largest economies in South America as well as the region in general.
- This will be the third time that India has invited a Brazilian leader as the chief guest at the country‟s Republic Day event.
- New Delhi had invited Fernando Henrique Cardoso for the celebrations in 1996, and hosted Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva as guest of honour in 2004.
Puducherry CM Narayanasamy warns of protests if Centre goes ahead with hydrocarbon project
- Puducherry Chief Minister V Narayanasamy cautioned the Centre against going ahead with the proposed hydrocarbon project in the delta district of Karaikal and Bahoor block here and warned of “big protests” if it was not dropped once and for all.
- He also said the Union Petroleum Ministry had informed the Puducherry government that the Vedanta group of company had been sanctioned permission to take up drilling operations in the Union Territory in addition to Villupuram and Nagapattinam in neighbouring Tamil Nadu.
- While 39 sq km in Karaikal would be taken up for drilling, an extent of two sq km land would be brought under exploration onshore in Bahoor in Puducherry.
Unemployment Set To Increase, Nearly Half A Billion People Lack Decent Jobs : UN Labour Report
- More than 470 million people across the world are currently unemployed or underemployed, the United Nations revealed in a report with the International Labor Organization (ILO).
- This figure represents around 13% of the global labour force.
- The global unemployment rate was relatively stable during the 2010s but is expected to rise by 2.5 million in 2020, from 188 million to 190.5 million people, the annual World Employment and Social Outlook report.
- “For millions of working people, it is becoming increasingly difficult I think to build better lives through work,” said ILO chief Guy Ryder.
Qualcomm unveils mobile chipsets supporting Isro’s NavIC navigation system
- Qualcomm Technologies has released chipsets, supporting India’s own navigation system “Navigation with Indian Constellation” (NavIC), which is similar to the US‟s Global Positioning System (GPS).
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) said it provided consultation to Qualcomm towards enabling NavIC capability in their Snapdragon mobile chipset.
- Qualcomm Technologies, Inc, a wholly owned subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated, in collaboration with ISRO has developed and tested in select chipset platforms across their upcoming portfolio to support Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS), NavIC.
- It is designed to provide two types of services – Standard Positioning Service (SPS), which is provided to all users and Restricted Service (RS), which is an encrypted service provided only to the authorised users.
Three police stations selected for chief minister award
- Three best police stations under tamil nadu police department selected for chief ministers award in republic day function.
- Coimbatore race course police station in first position, dindugal (north) police station in second position and dharmapuri police station in third position.
NIC TechConclave 2020
- The theme of two-day NIC TechConclave 2020 is „Technologies for Next Gen Governance‟.
- Union Minister of Electronics and Information Technology, Law & Justice and Communications, Ravi Shankar Prasad will inaugurate the „NIC TechConclave 2020‟ at Pravasi Bhartiya Kendra, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi. This second edition of the TechConclave will be organised by the National Informatics Centre (NIC).
- This year‟s conclave will cover the latest trends in Information and Communications Technology (ICT) that are applicable for the expansion of various products and platforms of e-Governance.
- It will contribute towards the capacity building of all the Government officials and would also help the officers in delivering high-quality services to citizens.
- Narendra Modi‟s “Pariksha Pe Charcha” event, at Talkatora Stadium in New Delhi.
- Deepika Padukone, who was recently awarded at the World Economic Forum‟s Crystal Award ceremony at Davos 2020, in Switzerland.
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurated various projects of Gujarat police in Gandhinagar, including the ‘Cyber Ashvast Project.