- The government is planning to home delivery ration to elderly people living alone, said food and civil supplies minister Praduymn Singh Tomar.
- The minister informed that the department has started verifying ration-card holders through the M-Ration Mitra mobile App. “Till date 37 per cent verification is completed and the process is on”
- State’s One-State-One-Card policy, Madhya Pradesh had launched the programme a year back. Under the scheme, any of the card holder can buy ration from any PDS shop across the state.
Cabinet approves ordinance to amend Mineral laws
- Cabinet has approved promulgation of Mineral Laws (Amendment) Ordinance 2020.
- The Ordinance will amend Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act 1957 and Coal Mines (Special Provisions) Act 2015.
- After cabinet meeting Coal Minister Pralhad Joshi said, these amendments will open up new era to the growth in the Coal and mining sectors.
- The Ordinance will ease rules for auctioning of coal mines and to open up to all sectors.
Camels to be shot from helicopters after raiding scarce water supplies
- Marksmen in helicopters will begin culling several thousand wild camels in central Australia after herds of animals marauded through towns and farms in search of water.
- Camels crazed by thirst have ripped up pipes, broken into water tanks and wrenched air conditioners from walls.
- The camels are knocking down fences, getting in around the houses and trying to get to water through air conditioners.
- An Aboriginal settlement 150 miles southwest of Alice Springs is affected.
300 year old stone inscription found near Sivaganga
- 17th century stone inscription found, kovanur near Sivaganga.
- The inscription give information about Maravarman Sundharapandiyan.
Chennai book fair
- The 43rd Chennai Book Fair fair will be held from January 9, 2020 to January 21, 2020 at the YMCA Grounds in Nandanam.
- The Booksellers and Publishers Association of South India (BAPASI) has pulled out all stops to ensure a unique experience for book lovers in the city.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
India’s first indigenous aircraft carrier Vikrant
- Manufacturing is underway in Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL) in Kochi is in the third phase and is likely to be commissioned by early 2021.
ICC Test Rankings
- Virat Kohli retains top spot.
- Marnus Labuschagne attains career-best position.
- With 928 rating points, Kohli is miles away from second-placed Steve Smith, who has accumulated 911 rating points in the longest format.
- Union Home Minister released a book ‘Karmayoddha Granth’ on the life of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
To read this current affair fully, click the below link to download or subscribe our youtube channel to get daily current affairs
- Melathiruppanthuruthi is a panchayat town in Thanjavur district present in swach survekshan.
- First Farmers Science Congress Session on 6th January 2020 held in Bengaluru.
- The fourth “Buxa Bird Festival” has begun in Buxa National Park in West Bengal.