- The 11th edition of the Defence Expo, scheduled to be held here from February 5 to 8, promises to be the biggest in terms of area and revenue.
- The exhibition will also highlight emergence of Uttar Pradesh as an attractive destination for investment in the defence sector and act as a platform for alliances and joint ventures in the defence industry.
- One of the two Defence Industrial Corridors (DICs) in India, is in Uttar Pradesh.
- The main theme of the DefExpo India-2020 will be “India: The Emerging Defence Manufacturing Hub” and focus will be on “Digital Transformation of Defence”.
Amma Vodi scheme
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy launched the flagship “Amma Vodi‟ scheme to support lakhs of below poverty line mothers or guardians to educate their children.
- Under the Rs 6318 crore scheme, the state will provide direct financial assistance worth Rs 15000 annually to poor and financially weak mothers or guardians, to support them in educating their children.
- The amount will be transferred directly into the bank accounts of the beneficiaries in January every year.
- The Amma Vodi scheme is the first-of-its-kind scheme in the country, which is aimed at bringing significant changes in the education system of Andhra Pradesh.
- Lawmakers approved legislation which will allow Britain to leave the European Union on Jan. 31 with an exit deal, ending more than three years of tumult over the terms of the unprecedented divorce.
- They voted 330 to 231 in favour of the European Union (Withdrawal Agreement) Bill, which implements an exit deal agreed with the EU last year.
- That allows Prime Minister Boris Johnson to turn the page on one of Britain’s deepest political crises in decades, putting an end to the fears of an immediate disorderly exit which had cast a shadow over the economy and fuelled divisions over the 2016 referendum decision to leave the EU.
India’s first undersea fibre-optic cable to provide hi-speed internet in Andaman & Nicobar
- The archipelago of Andaman and Nicobar (A&N) islands off India‟s east coast is set to get more connectivity, but this time it’s via the undersea route, as the project to install 2250km of Optic fibre cable (OFC) from Chennai to Port Blair has been inaugurated.
- The cable laying which was flagged off by Ravi Shankar Prasad, Minister of Communications, Electronics & IT, Law and Justice, and Admiral D.K. Joshi, Lt Governor of the Andaman and Nicobar islands is aimed at being completed by June this year.
FTAs with EU, Australia, Canada to help boost textile exports: AEPC
- Free trade agreements with Australia, Canada, and the European Union will help boost the country‟s textile exports, an apparel export promotion body.
- Apparel Export Promotion Council (AEPC) Chairman A Sakthivel said the government should pursue free trade agreements (FTAs) with these countries as they hold huge potential for India’s exports.
- “India should do comprehensive FTAs with Australia, Canada, the UK and the EU. Once we get these pacts done, the sector would not require hand holding from the government,” he said.
ThinkEdu Awards 2020
- TNIE Group Chairman Manoj Kumar Sonthalia (R) and Editorial Director Prabhu Chawla offer a memento to Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami as Union Minister Smriti Irani ahead of the first ThinkEdu Awards 2020 presentation ceremony.
- CM Edappadi gave away TNIE‟s ThinkEdu Awards to 24 private colleges across the State and the higher education department for consistent efforts in providing quality education.
3rd Khelo India games to open with grand ceremony in Guwahati
- All preparations are in place for the inaugural ceremony of Khelo India youth games in Guwahati this evening
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbanand Sonowal will inaugurate the event in the presence of Union Sports minister Kiren Rijjiju and other dignitaries.
- Hima Das, Jamuna Bodo and Deepa Karmakar, among others will be the torchbearers in the ceremony.
- A total of 6500 athletes are participating in the event which will be on till 22nd of this month.
India clinch U-19 quadrangular cricket series final
- Dhruv Jurel‟s hundred gave India a 69-run win in the final
- India remained unbeaten in the quadrangular series in South Africa
- India begin their U-19 World Cup title defence in South Africa from January 17
- 5th Asia Pacific Drosophila Research Conference (APDRC5) and Indian Drosophila Research Conference, pune.
- Iran has announced its withdrawal from the nuclear deal signed with world powers in 2015
Maharashtra is the first state in the country to seamlessly integrate its land records with the web portal of the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY)