- Parliament passed a bill to include certain tribal communities in Karnataka in the Scheduled Tribe category.
- The Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order (Amendment) Bill, 2019 was passed in Lok Sabha by voice vote, while Rajya Sabha has already approved it in the previous session.
- It seeks to include Parivara and Talawara tribal communities in the ST category to ensure they get reservation and other benefits provided by the government.
- Siddi tribes of Belagavi, Dharwad would also be included in the ST category apart from those living in Uttar Kannada districts.
Coronavirus disease named Covid-19
- The World Health Organization says the official name for the disease caused by the new coronavirus is Covid-19
- The new name is taken from the words “Corona”, “Virus” and “Disease”, with 2019 representing the year as COVID-19 that it emerged (the outbreak was reported to the WHO on 31 December).
- The name was suggested by WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus in Geneva.
- It comes after the death toll from the virus passed 1,000. Tens of thousands of people have been infected in Wuhan province in China
Centre rejects AP govt’s proposal to release lumpsum payment under PM-KISAN
- The Centre has rejected Andhra Pradesh government‟s proposal to release the payment under PM-KISAN scheme as a lumpsum amount instead of installments,
- Under PM-KISAN, the central government provides a payment of Rs 6,000 per year in three equal installments of Rs.2,000 to 14.5 crore farmers across the country.
- Andhra Pradesh government under its Rythu Bharosa scheme proposed to give Rs.12,500 per year to each farmer family inclusive of a benefit of Rs.6,000 given under PM-KISAN. The state government scheme also aimed to cover the tenant farmers.
- State government had requested to release the payments under PM-KISAN scheme as a lumpsum amount instead of payments in installments. The request of Government of Andhra Pradesh was not accepted.
PERSONS IN NEWS
Arvind Kejriwal returns as chief minister after AAP victory
- Voters overwhelmingly backed the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) in an election which pitted them against India’s governing Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
- AAP won 62 seats in the 70-member assembly, five seats short of its 2015 tally when it had won 67 seats. The BJP won eight seats, five more than its tally in the previous election. The Congress, which had failed to win a seat in the last election also, saw a dip in its vote percentage.
Donald Trump announces first visit to India
- The US president is set to meet with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi later this month. He is expected to make stops in New Delhi and Modi‟s home state, Gujarat.
- A public event along the lines of „Howdy Modi‟ would take place during the Gujarat leg of Trump‟s visit to India
- An invitation to Trump was extended by Modi during his US trip in June 2017
FIH Award – 2019
- India striker Lalremsiami named 2019 FIH Women’s Rising Star of Year.
- Pinaka is a multiple rocket launcher produced in India and developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for the Indian Army.
- The 13th Conference of Parties (COP) of the Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals (CMS), an environmental treaty under the aegis of United Nations Environment Programme, is going to be hosted by India during 17 to 22 February at Gandhinagar, Gujarat