- Foreign language will no longer be a barrier for Keralites seeking job abroad, thanks to an ambitious government initiative.
- Considering the lack of authorised facilities in the state to impart training in foreign languages, Overseas Development and Employment Promotion Consultants (ODEPC), a state government undertaking, is all set to open a language training centre at Angamaly in Ernakulam district.
- The proposed centre, being set up with the support of Kerala Academy for Skills Excellence, would be opened at the Inkel Business Centre there, Labour Department
NHRC forms fact-finding team to probe violence in northeast Delhi
- The National Human Rights Commission has deputed a fact-finding team to investigate the cases of communal violence in northeast Delhi.
- At least 42 people were killed and over 200 injured as frenzied mobs torched houses, shops, vehicles, a petrol pump, and pelted stones at locals and police personnel earlier this week, the worst riots in Delhi in over three decades.
NABARD sanctions Rs. 400 crore for infrastructure projects in J&K
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has sanctioned funds to the tune of Rs. 400.64 crore to the union territory of Jammu and Kashmir for the current financial year
- Against the normative allocation of Rs. 500 crore for the current fiscal, Rs 400.64 crore was sanctioned for various projects of Public Works Department (PWD), Public Health Engineering (PHE) and animal husbandry, thus registering a cumulative achievement of 95.95 percent.
- Financial Commissioner (Finance) Arun Kumar Mehta chaired the meeting to review the performance achieved under NABARD funded projects.
Cabinet approves Memorandum of Understanding between India and Afghanistan in the field of road management and maintenance
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi today has given its approval for signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Afghanistan on cooperation in the field of of road management and maintenance.
- The road ministry is in the final stages of preparing a draft memorandum of understanding (MoU) under which India will help Afghanistan develop roads and highways and formulate a road transport policy, and share its knowledge in transportation technologies.
Afghanistan’s Taliban, US sign agreement aimed at ending war
- US officials and Taliban representatives have signed an agreement after months of negotiations in Qatar’s capital that is aimed at ending the ‘United States’ longest war, fought in Afghanistan since 2001.
- Recent agreement, signed in Doha in the presence of leaders from Pakistan, Qatar, Turkey, India, Indonesia, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan, will pave the way for the US to gradually withdraw its troops.
PERSON IN NEWS
Malaysia gets new PM, Muhyiddin Yassin, after week of turmoil
- Muhyiddin Yassin, backed by the corruption-tarnished former governing party, was sworn in by the king.
- Mr. Mahathir, 94, who has dominated Malaysian politics for decades, described the appointment of Mr. Muhyiddin as illegal and a betrayal.
- He vowed to seek a vote in parliament to challenge Mr. Muhyiddin’s support.
- Mr. Mahathir, who was the world’s oldest elected leader, had returned to power in 2018 in a coalition with his old rival Anwar Ibrahim.
- In a surprise victory, he ousted then-Prime Minister Najib Razak, who is on trial charged with taking millions of dollars from a government wealth fund.
Observance of International Women’s day 2020
- International Women’s day is observed every year on 8th march to reaffirm the commitments and resolve of the governments and people across the world and ensure the rights and entitlements of women.
- In this regard the UGC in its commitment to achieve increased participants of women in higher education and it takes several initiatives for the upliftment of women.
29 February 1896-Moraji Desai birthday
- Morarji Ranchhodji Desai was an Indian independence activist and served between 1977 and 1979 as the 4th Prime Minister of India and led the government formed by the Janata Party