- The Railway ministry is now doing its bit to promote the use of Sanskrit in Uttarakhand.
- Railway officials have decided to replace Urdu language with Sanskrit on all signboards at platforms.
- The signboards which have names of railway stations written in Hindi, English and Urdu will now be written in Hindi, English and Sanskrit.
- The decision, according to sources, has been taken as per provisions of the Railway Manual, which says that names of the railway stations should be written in Hindi, English and in the second language of the state.
- In 2010, the Uttarakhand government had become the first in the country to give Sanskrit the status of second official language.
- The then chief minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank had said that he intended to promote Sanskrit in the state.
- Himachal Pradesh followed suit in 2019.
Harry, Meghan to quit royal jobs, give up ‘highness’ titles
- Prince Harry and wife Meghan will no longer use the titles “royal highness” or receive public funds for their work under a deal that lets the couple step aside as working royals, Buckingham Palace.
- Releasing details of the dramatic split triggered by the couple’s unhappiness with life under media scrutiny, the palace said Harry and Meghan will cease to be working members of the royal family when the new arrangements take effect in the “spring of 2020.”
Libya summit: Participants agree to respect arms embargo
- Countries with interests in Libya’s long-running conflict agreed to provide no further military support to the warring parties while a ceasefire lasts.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel made the announcement at Sunday’s peace summit in Berlin after about four hours of talks at the chancellery.
- Leaders of Libya’s warring sides and foreign powers met on ways to end the long-running conflict in the oil-rich North African country.
- The head of Tripoli’s internationally recognised government, Fayez al-Sarraj, and his rival, renegade military commander Khalifa Haftar, attended the UN-backed gathering in the German capital, the first such event since 2018.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
India successfully test-fires 3,500 km range K-4 nuclear capable missile
- The nuclear capable missile can be launched from a submarine
Test of the K-4 ballistic missile takes place off the coast of Andhra Pradesh.
The missile is being developed by India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and is to be fitted into the indigenously built Arihant-class nuclear-powered submarines of the Indian Navy.
PBL: In a premier league at 15, Sankar Muthusamy eyes his chance
- Chennai Superstarz, in the Premier Badminton League (PBL).
There will be a special reason for the locals to root for this franchise. In the squad is 15-year-old Sankar Muthusamy, who was bought for `1 lakh in the auctions.
Virat Kohli Breaks Another MS Dhoni Record to Become Fastest to Score 5000 Runs in ODIs as Captain
- Kohli has gone past MS Dhoni, who got to the milestone in 127 innings while Kohli has done it in just 82
- 18th-century plot stones discovered near Utiramerur.
- Khagendra Thapa Magar, a Nepali known as the shortest man in the world.
- Indian aviation and technology leaders gathered in Bengaluru for industry meet ahead of “Wings India 2020′′, Asia’s largest civil aviation event.