- The double taxation avoidance agreement between India and Sri Lanka was amended on Wednesday.
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has approved the Signing and Ratification of the Protocol amending the Agreement between India and Sri Lanka for the avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income.
- The amendment was made to the India-Sri Lanka Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) of 2013 and the new changes would enable the government to blunt tax evasion.
- The changes made include amendments in the text of the preamble of the agreement and inclusion of Principal Purpose Test, a general and anti-abuse provision in the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement.
- The DTAA was signed on January 22, 2013 and became effective on October 22, 2013.
World’s largest cricket stadium in Ahmedabad
- The stadium is built at a cost of Rs 700 crore and has a seating capacity of 1,10,000. The first match to be played in the new stadium is anticipated to be an exhibition match between Asia XI and World XI in March 2020, subject to the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) approval.
- The new Sardar Patel stadium will be the biggest cricket ground surpassing the Melbourne Cricket Ground’s capacity of 1,00,000 people.
Pondy takes cue from Tamil Nadu, labels Karaikal agri zone
- A special session of the Assembly convened here adopted a resolution announcing Bahour in Puducherry and Karaikal region as a special protected agricultural zone.
- Moving the resolution, Agriculture Minister R Kamalakannan said the Union Petroleum Ministry had signed an agreement with a private company, permitting it to dig 274 wells in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry to derive hydrocarbon, but the House on July 23, 2019, had adopted a unanimous resolution urging the Centre not to implement the project.
- If hydrocarbon was taken from Karaikal and Bahour, the areas would become a desert and spoil agriculture and the livelihood of agriculturists, the minister said, adding that hence, to encourage agriculture in the areas, the Karaikal region and Bahour in Puducherry are being announced as ‘Special Protected Agricultural Zone’.
112-year-old Japanese Man Certified World’s Oldest Male By Guinness World Records
- A Japanese man has reportedly been certified as the world’s oldest male at the age of 112 years and 344 days by the Guinness World record. The man, born on March 5 in the year 1907 in Niigata, Tokyo claimed that smiling is the key to longevity, suggest reports.
- Chitetsu Watanabe was officially given the title of the World’s oldest man at his nursing home in the Niigata city, Guinness World Records told the reporters. It said that the previous record holder, Masazo Nonaka was also a Japanese national who died last month at 112 years and 266 days.
Stone inscription found near Madurai confirms co-rule by Pandiya brothers
- A stone inscription discovered in a village on the Madurai – Virudhunagar border confirms the theory that the Pandiya dynasty was once ruled simultaneously by brothers Jatavarman Kulasekara Pandiya and Maravarman Sundarapandiyan.
- The Tamil script found on the stone says, “Sri Anna mennu nadai’’, similar to the verse found in a stone inscription at Ponamaravathi in Pudukottai district, dating to Maravarman Sundarapandiayan 1 (1216-1238).
- The inscription refers to Saka year 1139, which is equivalenequivalent to 1217 CE, and also mentions that it is the 28th year of Jatavarman Kulasekara Pandiya’s reign.
- In the newly discovered inscription, the Pandiya king is referred to as Thennavan and compared to Karna of Mahabharatha, for his liberal donations.
All India Chess Federation polls: Ajay Patel new president, Bharat Chauhan as secretary
- Five people have been declared unopposed for various posts, including that of president and secretary, by the returning officer for the All-India Chess Federation (AICF) elections.
- Naresh Sharma declared treasurer, M Arun Singh was named joint secretary and Vipnesh Bharadwaj emerged as the vice-president.
World Unani Day – February 11
- Every year, on February 11, the birth Anniversary of Hakim Ajmal Khan is celebrated as World Unani Day.