- The construction of the railway line, between Agartala in Tripura and Akhaura in Bangladesh, will be completed, it will pave the way for running the first train from the northeast to Bangladesh on the eve of the 75th year of India‟s independence in 2022.
- The landmark railway line between Agartala and Akhaura will be completed before the end of next year, that is 2021, Singh said here said by Union minister jitendra singh.
India-Chile talks to expand trade
- Priority Trade Agreement between India and Chile WAS made on March 8 2006 and came into existence from august 2007. In this instance to increase the trade between these two countries an agreement was signed on 2016.
- And now this is the second time between the two countries about the trade dialogue to increase the trade affairs. This dialogue is going to be held in San Diego city of Chile.
Government may impose antidumping on a chemical imported from 4 countries
- Toluene DiIsocyanate (TDI) is a chemical used primarily for flexible foam applications including furniture, bedding and carpet underlay, as well as packaging applications.
- The government may impose anti-dumping duty on the imports of a chemical, used in foam making, from four regions, including the EU and Saudi Arabia, to guard domestic players from cheap shipments.
- The commerce ministry‟s investigation arm Directorate General of Trade Remedies (DGTR) has initiated a probe into an alleged dumping of Toluene Di-Isocynate from the EU, Saudi Arabia, Chinese Taipei, and the UAE following a complaint filed by Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers and Chemicals Ltd.
6.2-magnitude earthquake hits Papua New Guinea
- A 6.2-magnitude earthquake struck Papua New Guinea on Sunday (Feb 9), the US Geological Survey (USGS) said, but no tsunami warning was issued and there were no immediate reports of damage.
- The quake hit just after 4pm local time at a depth of 31km, some 122km south of Kokopo, the capital of PNG’s East New Britain province.
- Coastal communities near the epicenter would have felt “quite strong ground shaking” as the tremblor was close to the shore and the area was relatively sparsely populated and flexible building design locally helped limit exposure to damage from quakes.
- Papua New Guinea sits on the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire, which is a hotspot for seismic activity due to friction between tectonic plates.
A show of man’s best friend
- The annual dog show organised by Madurai Canine Club was a treat for dog lovers and residents of Madurai as the dogs were paraded by their proud owners in two arenas. A total of 221 dogs from 10 states and about 30 types of dogs were registered from across the country.
- Native breeds like Kombai, Rajapalayam, Kanni and Mandhai grabbed the limelight with their agility and posture.
- The Manthai breed, also known as „Mandai,‟ which is a native breed of Ramanathapuram, was the show stealer. “This breed which is ferocious in nature is used for hunting and protecting farmlands from the attack of wild animals. It also helps a shepherd in managing a herd of goats.
PERSONS IN NEWS
Kamya Karthikeyan, a 12-year-old student from India, has scaled Aconcagua, the highest peak outside Asia.
- The Class-7 student of Mumbai‟s Navy Children School had achieved the feat on 1 February 2020 on this peak of 6962 meters. Aconcagua is the highest peak in the Andes Mountains located in Argentina, South America.
- While reaching this peak, she hoisted the tricolor.
- Kamya completed the climb to the 6260 meter high Mentok Kangri II in Ladakh on 24 August 2019. She was the youngest climber to do so.
APJ Abdul Kalam biopic: Prakash Javadekar unveils first look poster in Delhi
- The first look poster of the biopic of former Indian President APJ Abdul Kalam was released in Delhi.
- Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting, Prakash Javadekar unveiled the poster along with Madhur Bhandarkar.
New cricket stadium inaugurated in salem
- A new cricket stadium of international standards was inaugurated here on Sunday by Tamil Nadu chief minister K Palaniswami.
- Former BCCI president N Srinivasan, former India captain Rahul Dravid and TNCA president Rupa Gurunath were present on the occasion
ICC U-19 World Cup 2020
- The Under-19 Cricket World Cup was held in South Africa (from 17 January to 9 February 2020) has concluded.
- The Bangladesh team won the Under 19 World Cup 2020 & the Indian team is the runner up. There are 16 teams participated in this tournament. The Under-19 Indian Cricket team was led by the Priyam Garg.
- Before this match, the Indian team has won the under 19 world cup four-time and followed by Australia with 3 titles so far. The first edition of the Under 19 world cup was played in Australia in 1988.