- India and Myanmar have agreed to further strengthen the bilateral relations. Both sides signed 10 agreements in various fields including infrastructure, energy, communication and health.
- The agreements were exchanged following talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Myanmar President U Win Myint in New Delhi. Both leaders discussed a wide range of bilateral issues.
Caste wise census in Bihar
- The Bihar assembly on Thursday unanimously passed a resolution demanding a caste-based census in 2021.
- The move comes just two days after the 243-member House unanimously passed a resolution stating that National Register of Citizens (NRC) is “not needed in Bihar” while also emphasizing that the state would stick to the 2010 proforma for National Population Register (NPR) and add only a new column for trans genders.
China may send ducks to battle Pakistan’s locust swarms
- China could deploy 100,000 ducks to neighbouring Pakistan to help tackle swarms of crop-eating locusts, according to reports.
- Pakistan declared an emergency earlier this month saying locust numbers were the worst in more than two decades.
- An agricultural expert behind the scheme says a single duck can eat more than 200 locusts a day and can be more effective than pesticides.
- The Chinese government announced this week it was sending a team of experts to Pakistan to develop “targeted programmes” against the locusts.
Earth Has Had a Secret Second Moon for Months Now
- It is not the kind that will illuminate the night sky. It’s invisible to the naked eye and too tiny to do any classic moon moves, like tugging on the planet’s oceans. But it’s there, orbiting the Earth, accompanying us on our journey around the sun.
- A pair of astronomers discovered the miniature moon on the night of February 15. It showed up in the nightly observations of the Catalina Sky Survey, a NASA-funded project in Arizona. The survey is designed to study asteroids and comets near Earth, the kind that could potentially menace the planet if they got too close. To Kacper Wierzchos and Teddy Pruyne, the mystery object appeared as a few pixels of light moving quickly across a dusky, fixed background.
All Government Employees must wear Identity card – TN Govt order
- The state government of Tamil Nadu has issued an order that all its employees in all departments must wear/display their identity cards/badges.
- Each departmental head must watch and ensure that all the government employees wear their proper Identity Card/badge with the photo while on duty.
- New technology introduced for liver transplantation in Chennai
- New technology introduced for fatty liver transplantation in MIOT hospital Chennai.
- The hospital has introduced the latest technologies in international standards.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Offshore patrol vessel “VAJRA” to enhance coastal security launched
- The sixth offshore patrol vessel ‘Yard 45006 VAJRA’ to enhance coastal security was formally launched in the presence of Union Shipping Minister Mansukh Mandaviya and senior government officials .
- The vessel, built by Larsen and Toubro under the Centre’s ‘Make in India’ campaign, would be used for day and night patrolling
- The vessel is 98 metres long and 15 metres wide with gross tonnage of 2,100 tonne. It is equipped with two diesel driven engines and can reach a maximum speed of 26 knots.
- The ship would be fitted with CRN-91 and 12.7 mm guns and an integral twin engine helicopter enhancing its operational, surveillance, search and rescue capability.
- The vessel would be utilised for day and night surveillance along with anti- terrorist, anti-smuggling operations in the exclusive economic zone.
- It has two navigation radars with ultra modern technology, sophisticated navigational and latest communication systems.
- The ship would be manned by 121 personnel.
- VAJRA: Indian Coast Guard’s sixth offshore patrol vessel after vijaya, veera, vikram and varaha.
C. Gopi ravikumar appointed as law secretary
Previously he was in the position of deputy law secretary
- Sunrisers Hyderabad have announced David Warner as their captain for the upcoming IPL that starts on March 29. Warner takes over from Kane Williamson , who led the side in 2018 and 2019