- The Centre is all set to sign an accord with the banned Assam-based insurgent group National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) providing political and economic bonanza, sans the outfit’s key demand of a separate Bodoland state or union territory.
- The tripartite agreement will be signed in the presence of Union Home Minister Amit Shah and Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal by top leadership of the four factions of the NDFB, Joint Secretary in the Home Ministry Satyendra Garg and Assam Chief Secretary Kumar Sanjay Krishna.
- “The accord will provide for some political rights to the Bodo tribals living in Assam and some economic package for the community,” a senior official privy to the development said.
PM Narendra Modi, Brazilian President Bolsonaro ink 15 agreements
- India and Brazil signed 15 agreements to cement cooperation in areas ranging from energy and trade and investment to cyber security and information technology after talks between visiting Brazilian President Jair Messias Bolsonaro and Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The two countries also unveiled an action plan to further expand strategic ties between the two countries.
- Bolsonaro, who is the chief guest at India’s 71st Republic Day celebrations, arrived in New Delhi. This is his first visit to India.
- After talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Bolsonaro, the two countries signed an investment cooperation and facilitation treaty that provides a framework to increase trade and investment in high growth areas.
- The two leaders acknowledged the great synergies between India and Brazil which were two large economies with a combined GDP of around $4.5 trillion and having a total population of 1.5 billion.
Chennai Adapts Japanese Botanist Miyawaki’s Method of Afforestation to Fight Pollution
- Just a fortnight ago, many parts of Chennai suffered “very poor” air quality with Air Quality Index (AQI) of over 301.
- The Tamil Nadu government is growing urban forests in Chennai using the a method developed by Japanese botanist Akira Miyawaki.
- The Miyawaki forest system helps build dense forests with native plant species and is gaining currency across India.
- The Miyawaki method involves plantation of native tree species at proximity to each other, reducing the space between any two trees.
- As the trees grow into tall canopy trees, they block the sunlight almost entirely, preventing weeds and shorter plants from growing.
- The resulting densely wooded forest makes it difficult for even humans and animals to enter.
India’s 71st Republic Day celebrations
- 24 Tamil Nadu Police Officers have been selected for the President’s Award.
- The Presidential Awards are given annually to those who have excelled in the police force.
- The list of 24 police officers who have been selected from Tamil Nadu for the President’s Award this year has been released.
Padma Awards 2020 announced
- Padma Vibhushan to 7 veterans, Padma Bhushan to 16 & Padma Shri to 118
The government announced the names of this year’s recipients of the Padma awards.
- Former Union ministers Arun Jaitley, Sushma Swaraj and George Fernandes – all of whom died in 2019 – were posthumously awarded the Padma Vibhushan, the nation’s second highest civilian honour.
- The list had 141 awards – seven Padma Vibhushan, 16 Padma Bhushan and 118 Padma Shri. Thirty-four of the recipients were women.
Harvard University announces India Conference on February 15 and 16
- Implications of the National Register of Citizens, future of digital business in India, the youth’s political re-alignment would be among the topics in focus during the 17th edition of the Harvard University’s annual India Conference next month.
- The students-organised seminar will be co-hosted by the Harvard Business School and the Harvard Kennedy School with the theme “20/20 Foresight” on February 15 and 16.
T20 World Cup
- We will not travel to India for T20 World Cup if they won’t come to Pak for Asia Cup, says Pakistan.
- India has not toured Pakistan since 2008 while it has also not played a full Test bilateral series with Pakistan since 2007.
- The World Economic Forum’s 50th Annual Meeting in Davos focus on how stakeholder capitalism can solve the world’s urgent challenges.
- Kristalina Ivanova Georgieva-Kinova is a Bulgarian economist, who is the managing director of the International Monetary Fund.
- Uttarakhand has become the first state in the country where the government has made a policy to lease agricultural land.