Centre to promote formation of 10,000 new FPOs, brings hope for small and marginal farmers
- Seeking to bring more and more small and marginal farmers on big platform as a joint entity, the Centre on Wednesday approved a scheme for formation and promotion of 10,000 new farmer producer organizations (FPOs) in the country with budgetary support of Rs 4,496 crore by 2024.
- Additional amount of Rs 2,369 crore will subsequently be used for hand-holding of these FPOs during 2024-25 to 2027-28 period, taking the total size of financial assistance to Rs 6,865 crore.
- The FPO helps small and marginal farmers join hands to scale up their farming operations for better access to quality input, technology, credit and market through economies of scale. It also helps them realise better price of their farm produce.
- Currently, there are over 3,000 FPOs in the country with majority of them being supported by the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (Nabard).
Asiatic lion population set to double in India
- The world‘s only abode for Asiatic Lion, Gir National Park in Gujarat, has seen almost 100 per cent increase in the numbers of the big cat in last five years.
- The lion census, set to be released in May by the Gujarat government, reflects that their numbers are likely to cross 1,000,
- Gir Forest National Park is a wildlife sanctuary with the area of 22,000 sq.km in Gujarat, western India. It was established to protect Asiatic lions, who frequent the fenced-off Devalia Safari Park, along with leopards and antelopes.
- It was listed as critically endangered in 2000, with its population under threat due to hunting and human encroachment on its habitat but it was revoked in 2005 after the increase of lion‖s population.
INDIAN HANDICRAFTS & GIFTS FAIR:DELHI
- The Indian Handicrafts & Gifts Fair is hosted by the Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts at India Exposition Centre & Mart Ltd, Greater Noida. More than 1800 exhibitors exhibit their products which in turns attract visitors from throughout the world and proves to be mirage in giving a view about the traditional craftsmanship of the India.
- Prime minister Narendra modi and Us PresidentTrump are scheduled to inaugurate the newly-built stadium at Motera, where around one lakh people are expected to take part in an event christened as “Namaste Trump”.
- The first event at the stadium will be the Namaste Trump gala—in honour of visiting US President Donald Trump on February 24
University of Indonesia and Madras University Joint Training
- University of Indonesia and Madras University signed Mou for Joint Training in education
- Memorandum of understanding between these two institutions and student training exchange and fellowshio training will be conducted
Nyas chief Nritya Gopal Das named chairman of Ram Janmabhoomi Trust
- Ram Janmabhoomi Nyas chief Nritya Gopal Das has been named the chairman of the Sri Ram Janambhoomi Teerath Kshetra Trust .
- These decisions were announced by Vishva Hindu Parishad‘s vice-president Champat Rai, who was appointed the general secretary of the Trust
- The trustees also decided that the model of Ram Temple will remain the same as that proposed by VHP but its scale can be bigger and a date between April 2 (Ram Navami) and Akshay Trithia (April 26) could mark the foundation laying ceremony in Ayodhya.
Judge Sri Srinivasan becomes first Indian-American to lead powerful federal circuit court
- Chandigarh-born Srinivasan was appointed to the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in May 2013
- Sri Srinivasan, a prominent Indian-American judge, has created history by becoming the first person of South Asian descent to lead a powerful federal circuit court considered only to the US Supreme Court.
Former Chief Minister Jayalalitha’s birth anniversary to be observed as ‘Girl Child Protection Day’
- Declaring that February 24, which marks the birth anniversary of former Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, will be observed as the ̳State Girl Child Protection Day‘, Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami.
ASIAN BOXING CHAMPIONSHIPS
- World‘s largest cricket stadium in Ahmadabad that will host the Namaste Trump shindig
- The new Motera stadium has been in the works for five years. It‘s come up in place of the previous, relatively smaller stadium. It will retain the official name: Sardar Patel Stadium.
- The new stadium can seat 1,10,000 spectators-twice as many as the previous version. It will be the largest venue in terms of seating capacity, tipping Australia‘s Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), which has a capacity of around 100,000.
- The new Motera stadium will have—hold your breath -11 different pitches, built from three different soils. Pace, bounce, turn
- The first event at the stadium will be the Namaste Trump gala—in honour of visiting US President Donald Trump. The first cricket match will be an Asia XI vs World XI, scheduled for March this year.