- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y S Jaganmohan Reddy inaugurated Disha police station in Rajamahendravaram city to address heinous crimes against women and children in Andhra Pradesh.
- He also launched the Disha app to help women in distress, and demonstrated how women can send SOS through the app which will alert the nearest police vehicle.
- It is the first of the 18 Disha police station promised under the Disha Act to fast- track the trials of crime against women, providing stringent punishment for rape crimes and others with conclusive evidence.
- Under the law, the investigation into cases of sexual offences are to be completed within seven working days from the time of record, and the trial must be concluded within 14 working days from the date of filing the charge sheet.
Puducherry government initiates steps to get UNESCO World Heritage status for Union Territory
- As part of this initiative, the administration held a conference under the banner “Puducherry Heritage Conservation: Road to UNESCO nomination.” The conference was organised by the territorial government in association with the Indian National Trust.
- At present there were 38 places in India are recogonised as World heritage sites by UNESCO.
PM Modi pitches for implementation of Tamil reconciliation process by Colombo
- On the long-pending Tamil issue, Modi said it will be necessary to implement the 13th amendment of the Sri Lankan Constitution.
- The 13th amendment provides for devolution of power to Tamil community in the neighbouring country.
- India has been pressing Sri Lanka to implement the 13th amendment which was brought in after the Indo-Sri Lankan agreement of 1987 which envisaged devolution of powers to the Tamils.
Chennai’s 2nd urban forest planned in Valasaravakkam
- The urban forests would be created across the city using the Miyawaki method.
- These forests will reduce the impact of air pollution and the trees will help restore biodiversity in the city.
- The civic body plans to create forests in vacant government land, around water bodies and other areas.
- As per the Miyawaki method of developing forest, which originated in Japan, the civic body had dug the earth up to four feet to plant the trees. Wet waste, coconut coir, cow dung and others were used as fertilizers.
- Miyawaki is a technique pioneered by Japanese botanist Akira Miyawaki, that helps build dense, native forests. The approach is supposed to ensure that plant growth is 10 times faster and the resulting plantation is 30 times denser than usual.
- It involves planting dozens of native species in the same area, and becomes maintenance-free after the first three years.
An exhibition match in Cape Town to raise money for Federer’s charity
- Superstars Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal set a new attendance record for a tennis match, as more than 51,000 spectators turned up to watch the longtime rivals play a friendly exhibition in South Africa.
- The exhibition raised $3.5m for the Roger Federer Foundation, which supports early childhood education in six southern African countries, including South Africa, the home country of Federer’s mother.
- Marine Products Export Development Authority has conducted an India International Seafood Showat kochi
- Sharang artillery Gun inducted into Indian Army. The Sharang Artillery Gun is to be inducted into Indian Army on February 8, 2020. The artillery guns are currently produced at the Kanpur ordnance factory
- The Sharang artillery guns have been upgraded from 130 mm to 155 mm. Also, the hitting range of the gun system has been increased from 12 kilo metres to 39 kilo metres. It was tested at the Balasore DRDO facility in January 2019.