- Union Minister for Home Affairs, Amit Shah, will be inaugurating the two-day Conference on Combating Drug Trafficking for BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) partner nations in New Delhi tomorrow.
- It constitutes seven Member States: five deriving from South Asia, including Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and two from Southeast Asia, including Myanmar and Thailand
- The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) is a regional organization comprising seven Member States lying in the littoral and adjacent areas of the Bay of Bengal constituting a contiguous regional unity.
- This sub-regional organization came into being on 6 June 1997 through the Bangkok Declaration.
Govt renames two institutes in honour of Sushma Swaraj
- The Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra, a cultural centre reflecting India’s connect with its diaspora, was renamed Sushma Swaraj Bhavan in honour of the late external affairs minister known for her empathy in reaching out to distressed Indians globally.
- The Foreign Service Institute, a renowned institution where diplomats are trained, has also been renamed the Sushma Swaraj Institute of Foreign Service.
- The government’s decision to name the two institutions after Swaraj came a day before her 68th birth anniversary.
Libya war: UN Security Council adopts ceasefire resolution
- The UN Security Council in New York adopted a resolution calling for “lasting ceasefire” in Libya’s ongoing conflict.
- The resolution confirms commitments made by international leaders during a summit in Berlin on January 19, including upholding a UN arms embargo and ending international interference in the conflict and military support for the opposing factions.
- The text, which was drafted by the United Kingdom, was approved by 14 votes out of 15, including Germany. Russia, a Security Council veto-wielding power abstained. The resolution calls for continuing talks between the factions in Geneva under the auspices of the UN.
- The UN resolution was debated for weeks, showing the deep international divisions regarding the conflict. Libya has been mired in a bloody power struggle since the NATO-backed toppling of strongman dictator Moammar Gadhafi in 2011.
CREDAI Chennai’s Annual Property Expo
- South India’s largest Annual Home-Buying Festival is CREDAI Fairpro. Credai (Confederation of Real Estate Developers’ Association of India) is an organization established to build trust in the real estate industry. Visit Fairpro 2020 to explore the largest display of CREDAI accredited properties in Chennai.
Rishi Sunak, Narayana Murthy’s son-in law, is UK’s new finance minister
- Indian-origin politician Rishi Sunak was appointed as the UK’s new finance minister on Thursday by Prime Minister Boris Johnson in a Cabinet reshuffle.
- Sunak, the son-in-law of Infosys Co-founder Narayana Murthy, will join Home secretary Priti Patel on the top government bench as the Chancellor of the Exchequer.
Rajiv Bansal to pilot debt-ridden Air India for second time
- Rajiv Bansal, a 1988-batch IAS officer of Nagaland cadre, is at present additional secretary in the ministry of petroleum and natural gas
- The post became vacant after incumbent Ashwani Lohani completed his tenure
India to host 13th Conference of Parties (COP) of the Convention on the conservation of migratory species of wild animals (CMS)
- The 13 th Conference of Parties (COP) of the Convention on the conservation of migratory species of wild animals (CMS), an environmental treaty under the aegis of United Nations Environment Programme, is going to be hosted by India during 15 th to 22 nd February, 2020 at Gandhinagar in Gujarat.
- As the host, India shall be designated the President for the next three years. The Government of India is Signatory to the Convention on Conservation of Migratory Wild Animals since 1983.
- India has signed a non legally binding MoU with CMS on the conservation and management of Siberian cranes (1998), marine turtles (2007), dugongs (2008) and raptors (2016).
Womens Senior National Hockey -Tamilnadu Holds Second Position
- National senior womens hockey tournament was held in vadodara, gujarat.
- HIMACHAL pradesh, kerala, maharashtra, tamilandu have participated
- Manpreet Singh becomes first Indian to win FIH Men’s Player of the Year award
- National men’s team captain Manpreet Singh on Thursday became the first Indian to win the International Hockey Federation’s (FIH) Player of the Year award, capping a memorable 2019 season in which he led the side to Olympic qualification.