- The government has launched a unique initiative called BhashaSangam to introduce school students to 22 Indian languages. The initiative, under Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat, was launched on 22nd of this month and will continue till the 21st of December.
- BhashaSangam is a programme for schools and educational institutions to provide multilingual exposure to students in Indian languages. Another objective of BhashaSangam is to enhance linguistic tolerance and respect and promote national integration.
- There are 22 languages listed in Schedule VIII of the Constitution but most students are familiar with only one or two languages.
- 8 more States achieve 100% household electrification under Saubhagya scheme
Eight more States have achieved hundred per cent household electrification under PradhanMantriSahajBijliHarGharYojana – Saubhagya.
- The states are Madhya Pradesh, Tripura, Bihar, Jammu and Kashmir, Mizoram, Sikkim, Telangana and West Bengal.
- Speaking to media after the Review, Planning and Monitoring Meeting with States and State Power Utilities in New Delhi, Power Minister R K Singh said, with this, total 15 States in the country have 100 per cent household electrification.
- The scheme was launched in September last year with the objective to provide access to electricity to all the remaining households in the country.
- The Miinister informed that as many as 2.1 crore connections have been released under Saubhagya so far.
He said, States like Maharashtra, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh and Chhattisgarh are left with a small number of un-electrified households and are expected to achieve saturation any time.
Sri Lankan President to meet UNF, TNA to end political crisis
- Sri Lankan President MaithripalaSirisena will meet leaders of United National Front (UNF) and Tamil National Alliance (TNA) on Friday to discuss a possible solution in the ongoing political crisis.
- The meeting comes after 14 TNA MPs decided to support UNF leader and demanded the restoration of government as it existed prior to 26th October.
- The support has established majority for UNF led by ousted Prime Minister RanilWickremesinghe while the parliament passed another motion against the new Prime Minister MahindaRajapaksa yesterday.