1. NEW ICBM TEST BY NORTH KOREA
North Korea said it had successfully tested a powerful new intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) that put the entire US mainland within range, declaring it had achieved its long-held goal of becoming a nuclear power.
- North Korea said the new powerful missile reached an altitude of around 4,475 km (2,780 miles) – more than 10 times the height of the international space station – and flew 950 km (600 miles) during its 53 minute flight.
- The new Hwasong-15 named after the planet Mars, was a more advanced version of the Hwasong-14 .It was designed to carry a “super-large heavy warhead” and had much greater advantages in its tactical and technological specifications than its predecessor. Based on its trajectory and distance, the missile would have a range of more than 13,000 km (8,100 miles) – more than enough to reach Washington D.C.
2. M-SAND (MANUFACTURED SAND)
The bullish rise in construction sector is leading to the overexploitation of sand present in the river. Emptying out the riverbed to mine sand poses a very real environmental threat which has to be stopped. Considering that we cannot curb the demand, Engineers and specialists have come out with few alternatives to sand. And one of those breakthroughs is M-Sand (manufactured sand).
- M-sand is achieved through crushing hard granite or other such blue stones.
- It is cubically shaped with grounded edges.
- It’s processed and washed before put to use.
- The processing makes it somewhat costlier than the normal sand.
- It’s a better substitute to river sand and good for environment.
- It also has the potential to regulate illegal sand mining by substituting the river-sand.