Why in news?
- According to recent media reports, not much progress has been made under Safe City Programme. • The report highlights the poor guidelines and improper utilisation of fund.
About Safe City Programme:
- It was launched with a focus on increasing safety features of women in public places.
- The programme is implemented by Ministry of Home Affairs in consultation with Ministry of Women and Child Development (MoW&CD), Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Ministry of Information Technology (MeitY)
- The funds for this programme are derived from the Nirbhaya fund.
About Nirbhaya Fund:
- Nirbhaya Fund was announced by the Finance Minister in his 2013 budget speech, with Government contribution of Rs.1000 Crores for empowerment, safety and security of women and girl children.
- The Fund is administered by Department of Economic Affairs of the finance ministry.NH 1D opened for traffic
The 434-km strategic Srinagar-Leh National Highway (National Highway 1D), connecting the Kashmir Valley with the Ladakh region, was thrown open for traffic after being closed for over four months due to heavy snowfall.
- The two highest passes on NH 1D include Fotu La at 4,108 m elevation and Zoji La at 3,528 m elevation.
- It was one of the only two roads that connected Ladakh with the rest of India, the other being Leh-Manali Highway.
- Snow clearance operation was undertaken by the Border Road Organisation under Project Beacon from Gagangir to Zero Point (33 km from 75 km marker to 108 km).
- Under Project Vijayak, the road was cleared from Drass to Zero Point (39km from 108 km marker to 147 km).
- Border Road Organisation was involved in the snow clearance operation.