India’s longest road-rail bridge – Bogibeel bridge
Bogibeel, India’s longest road-rail bridge connecting Dibrugarh in Assam to Pasighat in Arunachal Pradesh, was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the 94th birth anniversary of the former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- The bridge is 4.94 km long and 32 metres above the water level of the Brahmaputra.
- The bridge, which is the second longest in Asia, has three-lane roads on top and double line rail below.
- The bridge will also play an important role in defence of the country by facilitating ease of mobility to the India-China border in Arunachal Pradesh. In addition, the three road lanes of the bridge can act as three landing strips for the Air Force.
- Currently, the train journey via Guwahati takes 37 hours. With the bridge in place, the journey between Dibrugarh and Delhi will be shorter by three hours come year-end.
Good Governance Day – To commemorate the birth anniversary of our former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee
Good governance day is celebrated on the 25th of December to commemorate the birth anniversary of our former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- It is celebrated to signify the importance of establishing responsible and transparent governance (A corruption free governance); prioritizing the welfare of the common people through effective policies and good administration.
Atal Bihari Vajpayee: A political legacy
- Vajpayee was the first politician to speak in Hindi in U.N. assembly, thus highlighting our language at international level.
- He formulated some very good national policies such as Kisan credit card and maintaining better foreign relation with U.S.A. and China.
- He became the 10thPrime Minister of India from 1998- 2004. As a prime minister, he is known to have taken many crucial decisions, sometimes even against the political notations, for the wellbeing of the country.
- One of the examples is of Pokhran Nuclear test to make India on par with other countries in terms of nuclear strength. Other include the issues with world fora, addressing UN assembly in Hindi and more.
- He was known for his judgment and foresight in economic issues which was proven in Golden Quadrilateral project that connects major four cities of the country in a road network.
- He ensured that India has a sustained economic growth year after year.