ESIC wins ‘ISSA GOOD Practice Award, Asia & the Pacific 2018’:
- The Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) has won the ‘ISSA Good Practice Award’ for Administrative Solution for Coverage Extension at the “Regional Social Security Forum for Asia and the Pacific” held at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- The award recognizes the measures taken by ESIC for extension of coverage-SPREE (Scheme for Promoting Registration of Employers and Employees), reduced rate of contribution rates for 24 months in newly implemented areas and raising the wage limit for coverage under the ESI Act, etc.
- The Regional Social Security Forum for Asia and the Pacific is a triennial Forum, which is the most important social security event in the Region. For the triennial Regional Forum, ISSA invites submissions for the ISSA Good Practices Award for Asia and the Pacific Regions.
- The Forum provides unique opportunities to CEOs and Managers of ISSA Member Institutions to discuss key social security challenges and share their experiences.
JIMEX 18 begins in Visakhapatnman: Third edition of India-Japan maritime exercises:
- The 3rd edition of Japan-India Maritime Exercise (JIMEX) commenced at Visakhapatnam on Sunday following the arrival of Japanese Maritime Self Defence Force (JMSDF) ships Kaga and Inazuma in the Andhra Pradesh port city.
- JIMEX-18 is aimed to enhance interoperability, improve understanding and imbibe the best practices of each other.
- It will comprise a Harbour Phase and a Sea Phase
- The Harbour Phase of the exercise will include professional and social interactions between ship’s crews, sports fixtures and operational planning for the Sea Phase.
- The Sea Phase would include Anti-Submarine Warfare Exercises, VBSS (Visit, Board, Search and Seizure) Drills, Gun Firings, Cross Deck HeloOperations and coordinated operations in Anti-Submarine/ Anti-Air threat scenarios.
Significance of this EX:
- The last edition of JIMEX was conducted in Dec 2013 off Chennai.
- The conduct of JIMEX-18 after five years is indicative of an upswing in the Indo-Japanese defence relations and the continued efforts of both Governments to work closely to enhance safety and security of the global commons in keeping with ‘rule based order’.
- The two navies have been working in close coordination in Anti-Piracy Operations in the Gulf of Aden (GoA) for the past few years.