- Taking a cue from Uttar Pradesh government which has renamed Allahabad and Faizabad as Prayagaraj and Ayodhya, the Gujarat government had expressed its interest in renaming Ahmedabad as Karnavati.
- Chief Minister said the Gujarat government is looking into the legal aspects to take concrete steps in renaming Ahmedabad as Karnavati. “We are contemplating changing the name of Ahmedabad to Karnavati, the talks of which have been going on since a long time.
Go back :
- Historically, the area around Ahmedabad has been inhabited since the 11th century, when it was known as Ashaval. Chaulukya ruler Karna of Anhilwara (modern Patan) had waged a successful war against the Bhil king of Ashaval and established a city called Karnavati on the banks of the Sabarmati river.
- Sultan Ahmed Shah in 1411 A.D. had laid the foundation of a new walled city near Karnavati and named it Ahmedabad after the four saints in the area by the name Ahmed.
International Film Festival of India (IFFI)
- The 49th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) 2018 will be held in Goa from 20th to 28th November, 2018.
- 49th edition of the festival will showcase 212 films from over 68 countries which reflects diversity of taste.
- The International Film Festival of India(IFFI), founded in 1952, is one of the most significant film festivals in Asia.
- It is held annually, currently in the state of Goa, on the western coast of the country.
- The festival aims at providing a common platform for the cinemas of the world to project the excellence of the film art; contributing to the understanding and appreciation of film cultures of different nations in the context of their social and cultural ethos; and promoting friendship and cooperation among people of the world.
- The festival is conducted jointly by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Directorate of Film Festivals and the Government of Goa.