Facial recognition at airports: Government launches Digi Yatra
- The Union Minister of Commerce and Industry and Civil Aviation, Shri Suresh Prabhu released the policy on biometric based digital processing of passengers at airports called “DigiYatra”.
- DigiYatra Central Platform will be operational by end of February, 2019. Bangalore & Hyderabad International Airports will be ready with pilot implementation by end of February, 2019.
- Any service provider involved in facilitating travel of passenger from door to door will be able to use this platform in future through innovative solutions.
- It is a Facial Recognition based passenger processing which is a common standard being adopted the world over.
- This DigiYatra ID will be shared by passengers while booking ticket.
- Airlines will share the passenger data and DigiYatraID with the departure airport.
- A passenger who has created the DigiYatra ID has to undergo a one time verification at the departure airport during his/her first travel.
- If a passenger opted for Aadhar based verification, the identity will be verified online. On successful verification, facial biometric will be captured and stored in the DigiYatra ID profile of the passenger.
- In case the passenger has chosen any other identity for creating DigiYatra ID, verification will be done manually by Security personal and facial biometric will be captured and stored in the DigiYatra ID profile.
- A successfully registered passenger can go directly to the entry point E-Gate of the airport and scan the barcode/ QR code of the ticket/ Boarding pass. A camera will capture the face for comparing with DigiYatraID Photo. On successful verification of the travel details and facial matching, the E-Gate will open. The system will also generate a token in the system combining the face of passenger with PNR of the ticket, so that at subsequent check points the ticket details will be available on face recognition.