- In February, the Union government informed the Lok Sabha that over 4,000 government employees had been booked in corruption cases registered by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) over the last three years.
- Government employees under suspension or those who have been granted sanction of prosecution over corruption charges will not be able to get a passport. The move comes after the Centre reviewed existing guidelines of passport issuance
A Memorandum of Understanding on “Scientific Collaborations in area of Space Situational Awareness (SSA)” was signed between ISRO and University of Texas, Austin, USA
- ISRO scientists are working to detect and eliminate unwanted satellites orbiting space.
- They have signed a memorandum of understanding with the University of Texas, USA.
- Countries like India, China, USA, Russia have been sending spacecraft for many years. They are still circulating in space.
- Thus the new technology that has been invented now removes these unnecessary waste.
Delimitation commission for Jammu and Kashmir, Assam, Manipur, Arunachal, Nagaland formed
- The government constituted a Delimitation Commission, to be headed by former Supreme Court judge Ranjana Prakash Desai, to redraw Lok Sabha and assembly constituencies of the Union Territory Jammu and Kashmir and the northeastern states of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur and Nagaland.
- Election Commissioner Sushil Chandra and state election commissioners of Jammu and Kashmir and the four states will be the ex-officio members.
- The Commission will delimit the constituencies of Jammu and Kashmir in accordance with the provisions of the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, and of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur and Nagaland in accordance with the provisions of the Delimitation Act, 2002
Putin and Erdogan Reach Accord to Halt Fighting in Syria
- The agreement included a cease-fire that would come into force in Idlib, the last stronghold of Syrian rebels.
- The agreement also included joint patrols by Russian and Turkish troops of a seven-mile wide corridor along a highway that runs through Idlib eastward from the Mediterranean coast toward the border with Iraq
Ooty Flower Show to be held from May 15 to 19
- The 124th Ooty Flower Show will be held from May 15 to 19, N. Subbaiyan, Director, Department of Horticulture and Plantation Crops,
- The Ooty Flower Show is an annual event which is held in the Ooty Botanical Gardens. Often referred to as ‘The Showstopper of the South’, the Ooty Flower Show has been successfully setting the bar to grasp the global trends in floriculture for the past 124 years.
Bimal Julka sworn in as Chief Information Commissioner of Central Information Commission
- The oath of office was administered by the President of India, Ram Nath Kovind at an event held this morning in the Rashtrapathi Bhavan
- The post of Chief Information Commissioner has been lying vacant since the former Chief, Sudhir Bhargava’s term came to an end on January 11.
Govt approves TCS, DLF proposals to set up SEZs
- The government has approved the proposals of software firm TCS and realty major DLF to set up special economic zones (SEZs) for IT sector in Haryana and Uttar Pradesh. The approval was given by the Board of Approval, the highest decision-making body for SEZs.
- TCS has proposed to set up an IT/ITeS SEZ in Noida, Uttar Pradesh, on 19.9 hectares land. The total proposed investment for the project is Rs 2,433.72 crore.
- DLF has proposed to set up two SEZs in Haryana. The proposed investments for these projects are Rs 793.95 crore and Rs 761.54 crore.
- SEZs are major export hubs in the country as the government provides several incentives and single-window clearance system.
Viswanathan Anand, Koneru Humpy To Lead India In Chess Olympiad
- Five-time world champion Viswanathan Anand will lead the Indian team in the 44th Chess Olympiad to be held in Moscow in August with the legendary Vladimir Kramnik set to train the men’s squad.
- World number two Koneru Humpy will be the spearhead among Indian women in the biennial event that is likely to see participation of around 180 countries. The 44th Chess Olympiad will be held from August 5 to 18.