- The government of India has decided to fly a special IAF C-17 Globe master to the Iranian capital city of Tehran . A military transport aircraft, the C-17 Globe master is being used to evacuate Indians stranded in corona virus-affected Iran. At present, there are about 2,000 Indians living in Iran.
- The aircraft took flight from Hindon Airport in Ghaziabad. A medical team and support staff is onboard the flight. It will return with evacuated Indians on March 20.
- The Indian Air Force has a fleet of 11 C-17 Globe master IIIs. The largest military aircraft in the Indian Air Force’s inventory, C-17 Globe master is also used by the US Air Force as its primary strategic lift aircraft for the global transportation of both troops and equipment.
India and Japan signed 3 agreements on New schemes
- India and Japan will jointly work together for world’s sustainable development said by Japan’s ambassador to India Mr. Sathoshi Sushuki .
- Japan helps India by giving Rs 1.75 crore to helps in various fields such as nfrastructure development, hospitals, etc..,
VIT Ranks 1st in India under Private Universities
- VIT is the first and the only University in India to get 4-star rating from QS, the world universities ranking organization. The Industry consortium FICCI, has declared VIT as the “University of the Year 2020”, in India
- VIT Ranks 1st in India under Private Universities from QS, the world universities ranking organization.
- The QS system now comprises the global overall and subject rankings (which name the world’s top universities for the study of 48 different subjects and five composite faculty areas), alongside five independent regional tables (Asia, Latin America, Emerging Europe and Central Asia, the Arab Region, and BRICS).
Ghani sworn in as Afghan president for a second time
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has taken an oath for a second term but his main rival Abdullah Abdullah has refused to recognise the inauguration, holding his own swearing-in ceremony, landing the country in a new political crisis.
Moody’s slashes India’s growth projection for 2020 to 5.3%
- Moody’s Investors Service revised its baseline growth projections for India from 5.4% to 5.3% in 2020, saying an extensive and prolonged slump as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak will reduce growth in Asia’s third-largest economy to 5% during the calendar year.
- On 17 February, Moody’s had reduced India’s growth projection from 6.6% to 5.4% for 2020.
Ponnaiyan appointed Vice Chairman of Tamil Nadu Planning Commission
- Former Minister and AIADMK veteran C. Ponnaiyan was appointed as the Vice Chairman of the State Planning Commission.
- According to an official order, the State Planning Commission functions under the Chairmanship of the Chief Minister. It said the government has decided to appoint Ponnaiyan as the Vice Chairman of the Commission.
Lt Gen KJS Dhillon to take charge as DG DIA, DCIDS
- Lieutenant Gen KJS. Dhillon will take over the post of Director General, Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA), and Deputy Chief of Integrated Defence Staff (Intelligence)
- The post is under the Department of Military Affairs under the Chief of Defence Staff.
- DG DIA and DCIDS is responsible for collating technical as well as human intelligence for the three armed forces. DIA was created in 2002 on the recommendations of a Group of Ministers which looked into the lapses leading to the Kargil intrusion in 1999.
Tiruvannamalai activist Kannagi honoured with ‘Avvaiyar award’
- Kannagi has worked to relocate people in more than 350 families from huts and has contributed for their upliftment. Kannagi has also worked among the women self-help groups for more than 12 years as she had worked as coordinator for 528 women self-help groups.
- The award carries cash prize of Rs 1 lakh, 8-gram gold medal, a certificate and a shawl.
- Mumbai Indians (MI) has won the Indian Premier League (IPL) four times.
- In 2019 Mumbai Indians has won the IPL by defeating chennai super Kings in Hyderabad
WTA tennis Championship
Elina Svitolina won the WTA open tennis championship by defeating Mary Bouskovi in Montero city, Mexico.