- The Centre is keen to operate ferry services between Karaikal port in the Union Territory and Jaffna port in Sri Lanka as part of its efforts to promote tourism, said Union Minister of State for Shipping Mansukh Mandaviya.
- A committee headed by the Chief Secretary of the Union Territory and comprising the Secretaries to Port and Tourism would be constituted to prepare a blueprint for the project. “The Centre would take a decision once the proposal is submitted
India to export 280 million radar system to Armenia
- India has defeated a defense deal worth $ 40 million (about Rs 280 crore) for Armenia, beating the companies of Russia and Poland. India will produce four Weapon Locating Radar (WLR) for this Christian dominated country.
- According to government sources, the construction of these radars is jointly produced and produced by the Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) for Europe-based Armenia, which were part of the Soviet Union. This defense deal is considered a major achievement for the ‘Make in India’ project of the Government of India.
- Sources say that Armenia conducted several tests of Russia and Poland’s systems, which were found to be good. But they thought it better to go with India’s reliable system. These defense agreements are for four Swati radars. Their specialty is that it works to guide the army to find the presence of enemy weapons and destroy them. It is equipped with mortars, ammunition and rockets that convey high speed, automatic and precise location of the enemy. It has a range of 50 km range.
- All information will be available from the Swati radar within minutes. It has the power to destroy enemy mortar rocket launchers and artillery guns in just one to two minutes, as it keeps an eye on the enemy and responds well before them. When connecting the radar system to the fire system, an automatic retort can be provided with firing information. This radar system is also important in cross-border firing areas. This indigenous radar system has already been inducted into the Indian Army.
Govt planning to launch lottery offer under the GST from 1 April
- The lottery scheme is being envisaged by the revenue department to encourage customers to take bills for every purchase
- A member in the CBIC had last month said that the lottery offers would range between Rs.10 lakh and Rs.1 crore
Muhyiddin Yassin sworn in as Malaysian PM
- Mr. Muhyiddin Yassin was officially sworn in at Istana Negara as Malaysia‟s prime minister on Sunday (Mar 1) morning, following a week of political upheaval in the country
- He was the 8th prime minister of Malaysia.
Limestone wall discoverd during the Sixth phase of excavation at Keeladi
- The sixth phase of archaeological excavation at Keeladi, covering three neighbouring villages, began on feb 19 with Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami, formally inaugurating it through video-conferencing from Chennai.
- The first three phases of the excavations were done by Archaeological Survey of India. The Tamil Nadu State Department of Archaeology (TNSDA), which conducted the fourth and fifth phase, will continue the sixth phase that would go on till September.
- Limestone wall discoverd during the Sixth phase of excavation at Keeladi ,the excavations here so far had unearthed that Keeladi was the cradle of one of the oldest urban civilisations that dated back to some 2,600 years. “The sixth phase of excavation is likely to throw more light that will further strengthen the findings so far,”
CMRL wins award for safe transportation
- Chennai metro has been declared national award winner for „Safe and Secure Transportation‟ facility at Finest India Skills and Talent (FIST) awards 2020 presented at an event in Greater Noida, New Delhi.
- The award was presented by Pankaj Dharkar, international president, FSAI and was received on behalf of CMRL by Rajeev Narayan Dwivedi, Director (Projects), CMRL
Lt Gen B S Raju As New Kashmir Army Chief
- Lieutenant General B S Raju is all set to take over the charge of General officer Commander (GoC) of Srinagar based army‟s 15 Corps headquarters thereby relieving incumbent GoC Lieutenant General KJS Dhillon
- Raju was GoC Victor Force earlier and was part of many operations against militants in South Kashmir.(KNO)
Dutee Chand wins 2nd gold at Khelo India University Games
- India’s fastest woman Dutee Chand won her second gold of the Khelo India University Games after she bagged the top honours in the 200m final.
- The 24-year-old, who is representing Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, clinched the gold medal with a timing of 23.66 seconds.
- The Khelo India university Games 2020 had started on February 21 in Odisha
- Amit Shah inaugurates 29 Special Composite Group complex of NSG in West Bengal’s Rajarhat.