- Lok Sabha ministers urged central government to accept freight tax levied by central govt.
- 5 crores per annum for MPs to carry put development work in their constituencies but it is taxed at 12%
Over 25,000 from minority communities in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh given Long-term visas
- A total of 25,782 persons belonging to minority communities in Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Pakistan have been granted Long Term Visa (LTV) in the past five years, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) informed Lok Sabha.
- The CAA facilitates citizenship to migrants belonging to Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, Jain, Parsi and Christian communities from Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Pakistan who entered India on or before December 31, 2014.
- As per the Act, citizenship rights will also be granted to those who have been exempted by the Central Government or under clause (c) of sub-section (2) of section 3 of the Passport (Entry into India) Act, 1920 or from the application of provisions of the Foreigners Act, 1946 or any rule or order made thereunder.
Iraqi President Salih appoints Adnan al-Zurfi as new PM-designate
- Iraqi President Barham Salih has appointed Adnan al-Zurfi as the country’s new prime minister-designate in the latest bid to resolve a months-long political crisis.
- Al-Zurfi has 30 days to form his cabinet which he must then put to a vote of confidence in Iraq’s fractious Parliament. The 54-year-old former governor of the holy Shia city of Najaf heads the Nasr parliamentary grouping of former Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi.
Moody’s lowers India’s GDP growth forecast to 5.3% in 2020
- Moody’s Investors Service on Tuesday lowered India’s GDP growth forecast for 2020 calendar year to 5.3 percent, on coronavirus implications on the economy.
- Moody’s had in February projected a 5.4 percent real GDP growth for India in 2020. This too was a downgrade from 6.6 percent earlier forecast.
- The 5.3 percent real GDP growth forecast for 2020 compares to 5.3 percent growth estimate for 2019 and 7.4 percent achieved in 2018.
Burial urns found in Konthagai near Keeladi
- Burial urns have been found in Konthagai village near Keeladi, which is being excavated in the sixth phase of excavation by the Tamil Nadu state archaeology department.
- Workers at Konthagai found the top portion of two burial urns..Konthagai is already said to be the burial site of the civilization that had thrived on the banks of river Vaigai over 2,600 years ago.
- Sources at the department of archaeology said that while burial urns have been found in many places in the state, brick structures were being revealed in Keeladi, and hence importance was given to Keeladi. Goat Ethnic Research Center in Tenkasi District
- Minister of Health, Udumalai Kaurathkrishnan has announced that the Goat Ethnic Research Center will be set up in the Tenkasi district at a cost of Rs 2.70 crore.
Euro 2020 postponed until next summer
- Euro 2020 has been postponed by one year until 2021 because of the coronavirus pandemic.
- European football’s governing body made the decision during an emergency video conference involving major stakeholders.
- The tournament, due to take place from 12 June-12 July this summer, will now run from 11 June to 11 July next year.