- US ambassador to India Kenneth I Juster attended a ceremony for the completion of all major structural components of the new consulate compound in Hyderabad . He announced that the compound would be completed by Fall 2021.
- Spread across more than 12 acres, the multi-building consulate complex is located at Nanakramguda in the Financial District. An estimated $33 million is being invested in the local economy throughout the duration of the project. and an estimated workforce of over 1,000 American, Indian, and third-country workers are involved in construction. The project budget is $350.5 Million.
Asia’s first women airport firefighters display their prowess in Bengaluru
- Bengaluru International Airport kickstarted celebrations for the International Women’s Day with the first squad of women airport firefighters in Asia, demonstrating their readiness for emergency rescue service through a mock fire drill.
- The squad of 14 women were inducted in February 2018, after completing training for a year that included a rigorous four-month-long training at the Airports Authority of India Fire Service Training Centre in Kolkata.
- ARFF is a team that deals with the response, hazard mitigation, evacuation, and rescue of passengers and crew of an aircraft during an emergency, round the clock.
Jyotiraditya Scindia quits Congress, 22 MLAs resign; Madhya Pradesh government crisis deepens
- Chief Minister Kamal Nath’s government in Madhya Pradesh (MP) was plunged into crisis when 22 Congress legislators, including six ministers, tendered their resignations.
- The development followed senior leader Jyotiraditya Scindia announcing his resignation from Congress minutes after Scindia met Prime Minister Narendra Modi along with Union home minister and Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) former national president, Amit Shah, in Delhi.
- If the resignations are accepted by the Speaker, the effective strength of the Assembly will come down to 209, giving the BJP, with 107 MLAs, a slender majority of two. At present, the effective strength of the MP Assembly is 228, with two seats lying vacant, and the Congress has 114 MLAs, including the 22 who have resigned. The remaining seven are from the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), which has two MLAs; one from the Samajwadi Party (SP); and four independent legislators. These seven support the Nath-led government.
Putin backs proposal allowing him to remain in power in Russia beyond 2024
- Vladimir Putin has moved to cement his hold on power in Russia beyond the middle of the decade, backing a proposed constitutional amendment that would allow him to seek another two terms in the Kremlin.
- The Russian president is required by the constitution to step down in 2024, and there have been months of conjecture about how he could stay in power beyond then, or at least ensure a safe transition for himself.
Exporters postpone gem and jewellery show to July
- The Gems and Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC) has rescheduled its international gem and Jewellery show in Jaipur from April to July on account of coronavirus outbreak.
- In a statement, the council has said due to concerns related to the global coronavirus outbreak, it has decided to postpone the dates to July 18-20.
PERSON IN NEWS
Indian Everester Bhawna Dehariya at Australia’s Mount Kosciuszko Australia’s highest peak
- Everestor Bhavna, resident of Chhindwara in Madhya Pradesh, hoisted the tricolor and celebrated Holi by reaching Mount Kosciusko, the best peak of the continent of Australia. Earlier, he celebrated Diwali on Kilimanjaro, the best peak of the continent of Africa.
- Bhavana Dehria celebrated Diwali at Kilimanjaro, the best peak of the continent of Africa.
- Bhavna is the primary girl from Madhya Pradesh to climb Mount Everest on May 22, 2019
Mukesh Ambani loses ‘Asia’s richest man’ title to Alibaba’s Jack Ma
- Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani lost the ‘Asia’s richest man’ title to Alibaba’s Jack Ma as steep fall in oil prices and global stocks reduced his net worth by $5.8 billion.
- The Bloomberg Billionaire’s Index, a daily ranking of the world’s richest people, placed Ma at the 18th spot. He lost $1.06 billion in a single day. With a net worth of $41.8 billion Ambani ranked 19th on the list. Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, Microsoft’s Bill Gates and chairman of luxury goods giant LVMH Bernard Arnault were the top three. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg ranked fifth on the list.
Nirmala Sitharaman to meet heads of merging banks
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will hold meeting with chief executives of amalgamating banks on Thursday to review preparedness for the merger beginning April 1. Earlier this month, the Union Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved consolidation of 10 state-owned banks into four. According to sources, the finance minister will review planning and preparedness of merging banks on March 12.
- Agenda of the high-profile meeting includes readiness of anchor banks to minimise disruption to customers and ensuring credit flow to productive sectors of the economy.
Hindu Religious Endowment Board wins best stall award
Hindu Religious Endowment Board wins best stall award in Tourism exhibition held at Theevu thidal in Chennai.
Mohun Bagan are the Hero I-League Champions 2019-2020
Mohun Bagan are the Hero I-League Champions 2019-2020. Indian football heavyweights Mohun Bagan clinched their second I-League title with a 1-0 win over Aizawl FC at Kalyani, West Bengal